- 30-12-2021 – UGS All Aged Retriever Finals
UGS Kent & East Sussex Branch held The All Aged Retriever Finals Trial on the 30th December 21 at Wotton, Dorking, by kind permission of Laurence Matthews & Keeper David Smart. We were very privileged to be invited to join the shoot syndicate on their fabulous ground.
We started with a heavy drive on mostly open ground, which meant a lot of birds in area’s that needed skilful handling to pick the right bird. The second drive saw the eventual winner pick a fantastic 250 yard runner, which was a over a ditch & where the dog had to work his nose onto the scent first. We finished on a woodland drive, with the remaining 6 dogs needing to hunt in some very thick bramble cover & where the judges were able to conclude the trial.
My special thanks go to Judges Robert Worrall, Barbara Kuen, James Bailey & Louie Robertson & to all our amazing team of helpers, you certainly make my role a much easier job. Thank you to Laurence & David along with your guns & helpers, we are extremely grateful to all of you for allowing us to be there & for making us feel so welcome. Also congratulations to all of the competitors for qualifying for the stake & showing us some brilliant dog work, it was lovely to spend the day in your company. We were also very lucky to have keen photographer Tony join us for the day who will forward photographs once he has had chance to go through them all.
With a lot of silver ware up for grabs the awards were as follows –
- First Place to Isleoman Gorse of Wylanbriar handled by Di Stevens also winning Trophies for The Best Labrador, Best Retrieve of a Runner, Best Game Finder of the opposite sex to the best game finder & Best Lady Handler at the trial
- Second Place to Ftch. Brockaghs Forba handled by Jim Collins also winning the Trophy for Best Looking Labrador competing in the finals
- Third Place to Annington Bay Maddi May handled by Mell Brooks also winning Trophies for The Best Opposite Sex Dog to the Winner & The Best Game Finder at the trial
- COM to Hollowgate Red Grouse of Rufriver handled by Allie Hogsbjerg
- COM to Ftch. Ticefield Dazed N’Confused handled by Reuben Corbett
- 20-10-2021 – K&ES All Age Qualifier
UGS K & ES held our All Aged Qualifier Stake on the 20th Oct at Hawkhurst. Despite some pretty horrendous weather at times, keeper Frannie produced some fantastic shooting for our excellent team of guns.
The trial was walked up in some nice cover, with HPR’S working in front of the line & flushing the game. It was really good to watch them work & made for a really interesting trial. We ended with a bit of a drive for the remaining dogs, with some lovely long retrieves & a fabulous strong runner which really lifted our overall winner. It was so enjoyable to watch some spectacular dog work.
Huge thanks must go to Frannie & his team, our guns & to Wendy Harrison our chief steward together with my amazing team of helpers. We are so grateful to our judges Roger Wade, Di Stevens, Mark Polley & Kelvin Nettleingham who kept the day moving so smoothly. Thank you also to Skinners for sponsoring the event.
Congratulations to everyone & look forward to seeing the top 3 dogs competing in the All Aged Final in December
- 25 Sept 2021 – K&ES Novice Stake
On Saturday the 25th Sept 2021 UGS K&ES held our Novice Trial at Orsett. Three drives produced some great shooting for the guns, who gave us a plentiful amount of game on the ground, which in turn made for some skilful retrieving. Thank you to keeper Sid and his team for working so hard and making us feel so welcome, the guns for shooting so well and supporting our event and my wonderful team of helpers who kept the day running smoothly. I am extremely grateful to our Judges, Rodger Ketley, Graham Stanley, Julia Smith and Alistair House, who did a top job.